Friday, November 6, 2009

Pablo Picasso: The old guitarist.

This particular painting by Pablo Picasso was painted during a period of time called the blue period that spanned from 1901-1904. The old guitarist was painted after the death of Pablos close friend. If you look very closely at this painting you can see a ghostly face of a women and a part of her legs. The painting has a sad, blue, and melancholy appearance that characterizes this period. During the time of this painting pablo was passing through a difficult time in his life. There is a quote by Pablo Picasso that to me defines him as an artist "My mother said to me, "If you are a soldier, you will become a general. If you are a monk, you will become the Pope." Instead, I was a painter, and became Picasso. - Pablo Ruiz Picasso. I find this absolutely true and he embraced himself as an artist and that is what made him one of the greats.

No comments:

Post a Comment